where does regedit want to put the registry file?

Alle Meije Wink a.m.wink at home.nl
Sat Aug 30 05:04:03 CDT 2003

Hi,

> Wine has a very minimal registry, but winedefault.reg adds lots of
> needed entries. If regedit winedefault.reg doesn't work, try starting
> regedit and importing the file manually using the import registry
> file function in the registry menu.

I somehow managed (by doing everything as root, despite wine's advice)
to start up with the registry editor, and save my registry to a file. Ik
I use that file for system.reg in my ~/.wine directory, I at least have
a SHAREDMEMLOCATION in my registry.

But every time I restart wine, or run $WINEDIR/tools/winecheck, it gives
the same error: no SHAREDMEMLOCATION key in the registry. What's more,
it starts complaining that /mnt/fd0 does not exist on my system. It
doesn't actually, but I changed that in my ~/.wine/config (to /floppy,
which does exist and is writable).

It seems that wine overrides my painstakingly carefully edited config
fies and put some sort of wine defaults in their place. What is the
answer to this: editing the defaults or something? And if so, where are
they?

I think these errors are also the cause for me not being able to install
either Sun J2SDK or JBuilder (Microsoft Java I didn't, and won't, try)

Regards
Alle Meije