Site-wide WIDE-installations - Experience, tips & tricks?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Thu Dec 11 09:40:23 CST 2003

Hi!

Being quite new to WINE, I wandered around in the documentation and
found section 5.6.5 and 5.6.6 of
http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-user/registry where it states that
a WINE installations can be shared for all users of a system. That's
very interesting - can I find more documentation about such setups
anywhere?

Specifically the documentation says: "FIXME: global configuration
currently not implemented." That seems to be true when doing a quick
test - Running wine-20031118-1rh8winehq (RPM from winehq.org), I notice
that values I put in /etc/wine/wine.conf doesn't seem to propagate
down to my test users wine sessions - the wine session for that user
seems to use ~/.wine/config instead.

Any hint on when this functionality will be implemented? Can similar
functionality be aquired using some other method? What's "best
practices" in this case?

Is global registry functionality implemented, or does the FIXME apply
to that as well? How do I install applications best in a system-wide
installation?

Any info on how to properly maintain a system-wide WINE installation
would be appreciated.

\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com