Windows 3.0 apps can't find their files

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Dec 16 13:00:01 CST 2003

> Ahh, that cd <G>.  I think it's just the way the game is.
>  Especially older games needed to be in their directory or
> they complained.  You can write a shell wrapper to cd to
> that directory and then run wine.

I've done that. However, there was a post yesterday from someone here (I
think) saying there was supposed to be a patch to Wine to handle this sort
of thing. I think a bunch of us are just reporting that either it doesn't
work, or it isn't in our version of Wine/WineX/cxoffice.

Anyway, I can play Caesar, so I'll just shut up about this, but I do wonder
why Wine has problems like this.

Like I mentioned yesterday, Windows shortbuts have an entry that tells
Windows both what exe file to run and also what directory to start the
program in. If you don't have that 'Start in:' entry set I get similar
problems under Windows, so I really don't think this is magic, or even has
to try to be.

My suspicion is that there really should be a Wine command line option that
does the same thing.

- Mark