Path length dependency

Mike Kost mike at tashcorp.net
Mon Dec 22 14:33:21 CST 2003

I've run across what looks like a bug, so I'm looking for some independent
confirmation as to whether it's a Wine problem or a problem with the tools
I'm using under wine.

If I change the length of the name I'm invoking wine from, it will either
successfully or unsuccessfully recognize the file passed in on the command
line. For example, if I'm in my

/home/mikey/sandbox/temp123/latest/design/designsTop/top/tests/topSelfTest/test1

and invoke `wine -- mcpp.exe file.c` with mcpp.exe being on in the wine
"Path" declaration, the Dos executable properly recognizes file.c.

If the directory name changes to:
/home/mikey/sandbox/temp123/latest/design/designsTop/top/tests/topSelfTest/test12

the application is unable to determine the path to the file file.c.

Subsequent testing showed that either wine or my Dos program is truncating
the current path to an arbitrary number of characters.

I currently have a drive declared:
-------<snip>----------
[Drive F]
"Path" = "/home/mikey"
"Type" = "network"
"Label" = "Home"
"Filesystem" = "win95"
-------<snip>----------

If I add the following, everything works. I'm assuming that it works by
reducing the number of characters to the current working directory
relative to ${DRIVE}:\
-------<snip>----------
[Drive H]
"Path" = "/home/mikey/sandbox/temp123"
"Type" = "network"
"Label" = "Home"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

I've tried this on both 20020310 (RH 7.3) and 20031118 with the same results.
If anyone's seen something similar or can offer suggestions on perferred
Google search terminology (I couldn't find anything, but I'm sure I wasn't
searching with the right terms) to get me closer, I'd appreciate it.

Mike Kost
mike at tashcorp dot net