error while starting up Excel (wine cvs)

Nirmal Govind nirmalg at psu.edu
Tue Dec 30 13:47:40 CST 2003

> Nirmal, if you have Office installed correctly on a Windows partition,
> have you tried running those already-installed programs with Wine? If

Yes, that's what I tried first but wine wasn't able to start up
Excel or any of the other Office apps.. my first message on this
thread has the errors that wine exited with.

> You could also try copying "C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel 32\IKernel.exe" (and anything else in
> the folders) to your fake_wine Program files directory (with the
> relevant subfolders) and try installing again, if you really want to get
> Office "installed" under Wine, rather than just running.

I just want to get it running, don't necessarily need to install it
under Wine.. but I was running into roadblocks with the former and
so I took Ivan's suggestion of trying out the fake_windows option.
Will try copying the files as you mentioned and see if that helps..

> My understanding is that Office should run under regular Wine (though
> perhaps it runs better under Crossover Office), whether or not it

Am going to give Crossover Office also a try.. hopefully one of
these options will work..

Thanks for your help,
nirmal