Various problems- it just gets worse!

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Jul 1 00:42:57 CDT 2003

Duane Clark wrote:

> Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
>> Duane Clark wrote:
>>

>>> I do understand the aversion to scripts, but the wineinstall one is
>>> fairly mild. I've been using Wine for more than 3 years and have
>>> even done some development on it (I wish I had more time for that...
>>> sigh). Still, if I want to test with a clean install, I delete or
>>> move the old windows and .wine directories and just use wineinstall
>>> to create fresh versions. Because, well, it just works so well and
>>> is a lot easier than doing the configuration by hand.
>>

>> My beef with wineinstall is that there is no way to isolate the
>> configuration creation part from the install part. I think we should
>> have a script that does only the configuration, fake root and
>> registry creation. This way, the script can be bundled with the
>> package and placed on the destination machine. such a script should
>> be runnable without the sources dir (maybe by specifying the location
>> of the template registry and such via command line, maybe created by
>> ./configure).
>>
>> This way, the order CAN be "./configure, make depend, make, make
>> install, createconf" for normal install. Packagers can then do
>> "./configure --templatedir=/usr/share/wine --prefix=/usr (etc) &&
>> make depend && make && TMPDIR=/tmp/winerpmroot make install", and run
>> "createconf" from the "postinstall" section of the RPM sort of thing.
>>
>> Opinions?
>

> It sounds like you are looking for something useful for binary
> distributions. I think that wineinstall would normally only be used by
> someone who is downloading and installing their first source
> distribution.

Not entirely true either. I often find myself seeking to restore the
config. Also, what about someone who downloaded the sources and
installed wine system wide, and then wants to enable wine for a second user?

> So I think wineinstall is appropriate for that.
>
> For binary distributions, I think a GUI tool is more appropriate. And
> there exists a tool, winesetuptk, for that purpose. It is a long time
> since I tried that tool, but as I recall, it was fairly easy to use.

I disagree, even had I been looking for something useful for a binary
distribution. A GUI tool would be the worst solution possible.
winesetuptk is excellent for an end user trying to tweak his own
configuration. Something that runs while rpm -i (or dpkg -i) cannot
depend on GUI, for it would prevent it from running while installing the
system.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh