Problems with sound. What a surprise!!!

Alan Bort 333101 at personal.net.py
Mon Jul 7 16:10:11 CDT 2003

Hi.

I'm having some sort of problem with my sound configuration... This
whole thing came up since I read a problem posted by another user,
regarding something about the registry. Anyway, I tried to install the
same game he did and I found just one problem. The sound.

I hear SOME sounds at the biggining, I can perfectly hear the intro
movies and stuff. But then when I want to play it just won't do a single
sound.

Here is the sound part of the configuration file:

[WinMM]
; Uncomment the "Drivers" line matching your sound setting.

"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"      ; default for most common configurations
;"Drivers" = "winearts.drv"    ; for KDE
;"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"    ; for ALSA users
;"Drivers" = "winejack.drv"    ; for Jack sound server
;"Drivers" = "winenas.drv"     ; for NAS sound system
;"Drivers" = "wineaudioio.drv" ; for Solaris machines
;"Drivers" = ""                ; to disable sound
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"

The game I'm trying to run is Total Annihilation - with the Core
Contignecy upgrade (though I had the same problem before installing the
upgrade). When I tried to use the wine ALSA driver it made no sound at
all... I'm running RedHat 9 (shrike) with XD2 (Ximian Desktop 2).

If you need any further information I'll be pleased to provide it. Oh,
yes, I built wine from source with wineinstall.. dunno if that
matters... I would say it doesn't... but who knows.

Thanks a lot.

--
Alan Bort
Linux Registered User 298277 -Country Manager- [http://counter.li.org]