Unreadable character.

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Jul 26 17:00:30 CDT 2003

Ari Saptawijaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Wine in SuSE 8.2.
> Unfortunately, I cannot read the character displayed
> on the Windows application I would like to run using
> Wine (the program itself can be loaded). In the other
> words, the characters are completely unreadable (the
> characters are just displayed as a sequence of "small
> boxes").

Generally this occurs because you have a symbol font in your
windows/Fonts directory on your Wine "C:" drive. This causes Wine to
only look in that directory for fonts. The options are to either remove
the fonts from that directory, or better, install some regular TrueType
fonts in that directory for Wine to find. The latter option will produce
slightly better font rendering. Get the TrueType fonts from a real
Windows install in C:\windows\Fonts and from

http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/