[OT] MSN via wine ( was Wine and XP )

Rick Romero rick at valeoinc.com
Thu Jul 31 15:26:43 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 14:59, Cogman wrote:
> Adam Ingerman wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 00:51, Magnus Solvang wrote:
> >

> >>I have Wine working, and my Windows XP-installation mounted
> >>as read only. Reading the FAQ, I noticed: "DON'T configure Wine
> >>to use an NT-based Windows install (NT, Win2K, WinXP)."
> >>So... is it futile to try to get XP-applications running on my
> >>Linux-box? Should I install them from Wine, and if so, how?
> >>"wine SETUP.EXE"?
> >>
> >>I'm mostly interested in running Instant Messanger (MSN) 6.0 from
> >>wine at the moment. Has anyone here managed to do this? What would
> >>I need to do?
> >>
> >>- M
> >>

> >download and install aMSN. it looks almost the same as MSN 6, has a slightly
> >different set of features, and doesn't require going through wine (it's
> >tcl/tk, so it can run *nix native), which is a fair bit of a performance gain
> >(at least on my old system)
> >
> >http://amsn.sourceforge.net IIRC
> >

> Also, you might want to try Gaim. It supports more then one chat client
> which is very nice. (it should be gaim.sourceforge.net)

Have either of you tried to use those with a WebTV user?  Apparently
WebTV users can chat with MSN users.  A friend at work chats with her
dad via her WebTV (he has a PC), but she can't send a message to me.

I use Trillian via Wine, and I don't appear 'online'...

I don't know any one else who uses MSN..

I'm rick at havokmon.com , can you see me? :P

Rick