Compiler Help??

Raymond Wells raymond.wells at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 3 19:57:15 CDT 2003

Am fairly new to this and totally new to Wine and can use some help
getting wine to setup.
I am running Mandrake Linux 8.2 on the small half of a 60 Gig harddrive
of a dual boot machine ..
AMD  Duron 650 Mhz w/ 500 meg ram
When I run ./tools/wine-install  I get the following

    Configure: creating cache  config. cache
    checking build system type --- i686-pc-linux -gnu
    checking  host system type --- i686-pc-linux -gnu
    checking whether  make stes $(Make) ... yes
    checking for  gcc .... gcc
    checking for c  compiler default output ---- configure:  error:  c
 compiler cannot create executable,
    see config  log for details
    configure failed   aborting install

I am guessing  there is no C compiler in my distro .
I kneed to know if I must install a compiler.... where I might get one
... and  where should it be installed
Also is the edition of wine I have downloaded an appropriate version for
my Linux.

Many advanced thanks
Ray