Various problems- it just gets worse!

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Jun 28 19:14:56 CDT 2003

Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:
> Hi all,

>  It said that winedefault.reg didn't seem to have been applied using
> regedit.
>
>  Well no, it never told me to.
>
> No mention about what to do about this. Scanned through the documentation
> directory, found registry.sgml, and read it through less. Tried what it
> said about regedit winedefault.reg.
> Sounds simple enough! Tried it (using appropriate paths). It mumbled
> about my FDD (as wine does each time I use it), sat there for a couple
> of seconds, and then finished without any more info.

Actually, "without any more info" is the normal behavior for regedit.
Yes, it probably should say something like "Registry entries installed",
but it doesn't.

If you want to be sure, read the file winedefault.reg, and compare it to
~/.wine/system.reg. The format is slightly different, but the
differences should be obvious.

>  Then found the bit about "wineinstall", how it normally sets up the
> registry. But this also compiles everything!

It only recompiles source code that has changed. If you already compiled
everything, wineinstall should zip right through the compile step.

>   Somebody tell me something I can use here, please. Like what regedit
> is actually supposed to do when it works. Or anything else.

Regedit probably did work (I see no reason to think otherwise). Whether
TA works in Wine, I have no idea. I do know that, as you assumed, you
can only use Wine's DirectX. I also know that the Wine DirectX is under
heavy development right now, so expect instability (inhcluding "issues"
with the keyboard and mouse). You might want to try WineX, if your only
interest in Wine is for playing TA.