Various problems- it just gets worse!

Tom Barnes-Lawrence tomble at usermail.com
Sun Jun 29 19:48:13 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 12:43:17AM +0200, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> the "manpage" (ie usage) for regedit is showed like for another console
> windows program :
> regedit /?

 Yes, that's how I found out about the /E option (actually, I got the
usage info when I gave no options or arguments at all). But this was
no use for telling me what the stupid thing was supposed to do when
it worked (as I said, it never gave any failure message whilst it wasn't
creating the registry file).

> Of course, see in the usage, regedit /e eXPORTS the current
> registry in a text file.
> Copy-Paste from the source :
> "Switches:\n"
> "    /E - exports contents of the specified registry key to the
> specified\n"
> "	file. Exports the whole registry if no key is specified.

 That's lovely. It doesn't really matter to me now I've got that all
done, but the fact remains: The instructions for setting up the registry
make no mention of using the /E flag, even though that's what it took
for me to get it to work. The usage info also says that without any
switches, it will add the contents of the specified registry file, like
the instructions all say. And this does not work, and the /E option
doesn't work the same way, and so on and so on.

 It doesn't matter to *me* any more, but that situation is still stupid.

> reg.dat isnt part of the windows registry anymore. (only valid for Win
> 3.x) No program should try to read it.
> Wine hasnt got any *.dat for registry since it uses $HOME/.wine/*reg.

 OK, that's useful to know, thanks. Could it be that Wine's libraries
check it to see if you're using Win 3.1 and have installed its registry?

 BTW, is it possible for debug messages to tell me whether some file,
registry key, etc is being requested is being requested by Wine itself
(I've seen obvious cases of this so far) or by the Windows program being run?

 And can anybody tell me yet where the info about what programs have been
installed would be stored/found? If in the registry, then which registry
file and which part of the registry tree?

 Tom Barnes-Lawrence