Various problems- it just gets worse!

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Jun 30 11:13:18 CDT 2003

Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:

> ... The instructions for setting up the registry
> make no mention of using the /E flag, even though that's what it took
> for me to get it to work. The usage info also says that without any
> switches, it will add the contents of the specified registry file, like
> the instructions all say. And this does not work, and the /E option
> doesn't work the same way, and so on and so on.

Possibly what was happening was that you had the wineserver running in a
persistent state (it did not exit). If for example, with a ~/.wine
directory that contains only a config file, I run the two commands:

wineserver -p
regedit winedefault.reg

Then I look at the ~/.wine directory, and there are no *.reg files
there. But if I then do "kill <wineserver process>", the files suddenly
appear. And the wineserver can remain persistent for a variety of
reasons; it does not require that you explicitly use the "-p" option.

So basically, the reason the instructions do not say anything about
using the /E flag is that it is not the normal way of running regedit.

I do understand the aversion to scripts, but the wineinstall one is
fairly mild. I've been using Wine for more than 3 years and have even
done some development on it (I wish I had more time for that... sigh).
Still, if I want to test with a clean install, I delete or move the old
windows and .wine directories and just use wineinstall to create fresh
versions. Because, well, it just works so well and is a lot easier than
doing the configuration by hand.