AOL on Linux

Linux World 999 linuxworld999 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 03:03:36 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <whitnl73 at juno.com>
To: <linuxworld999 at yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: <whitnl73 at juno.com>; <wine-users at winehq.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: AOL on Linux

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Linux World 999 wrote:
> >
> > Do you know how to check for this?  How can I make sure is modem is
usable
> > by all users?
>
> chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS0
> chmod a+rwx /var/lock
>
> You might not want to do this.  For a single-user workstation it doesn't
> much matter, but the administrator of a multiuser system might not want
> to let just any user work the modem.  It is more customary to allow a
> group to work the modem, and add the users to be allowed to the group.
>
> groupadd modem
> chgrp modem /dev/ttyS0
> chmod g+rw /dev/ttyS0
> chgrp modem /var/lock
> chmod g+rwx /var/lock
>
> I don't know how to add a user to a group, except to edit /etc/passwd
> and give it that group number.

<snip>

I have tried the first of the options as my Linux server is at home and am
the only user.  AOL cannot initialise the modem.  The commands "echo atdt
82552569 > dev/ttyS0" do not owrk under a user or root.  The hardware
scanner does find the modem and identify it correctly.  Penggy also finds
the modem (configured as /dev/ttyS0 in penggy.conf) and dials.  A connection
is made but it is slow and unreliable.

Do you have any other ideas?

I appreciate your help and advise to date.  Thank you.

LW999