Warcraft 3

whitnl73 at juno.com whitnl73 at juno.com
Wed Mar 12 15:14:28 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Jens Lehmann wrote:

> I can't find an easy way to convert this partition to FAT32. I have

Mount it, say on /windows/c.  Create a new partition, put a fat32
(or ext2 or ext3 or reiserfs or...) partition on it:

mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hd<n>

mount this, say on /mnt/new

#!/bin/bash
##copy a directory or partition
tar -C "$1" -cOl . | tar -C "$2" -xpf -

put this script in a file, say ~/tartar, and make it executable

(might need to fromdos it first to remove carriage retirns:
tr -d "\r" <mailfile >.... oh nuts, I'll just attach it.

tartar /windows/c /mnt/new

> Partition Magic 6 here, but it only can convert the partition into a
> logical partition and the option to change the filesystem is disabled.
> Maybe I should try running wine without this windows-partition. Is there
> any hope in doing this for my purpose?

Yes.  Wine does not need a steenking windows partition.  You can point
any wine [Drive X] to any directory in any mounted vfs filesystem,
including /.  Might not want to do that, though.  I wouldn't want
windows apps to be able to get at all my fs.

You will need a c:\\windows and c:\\windows\\system, but you can make
those with mkdir.  It won't bother wine if they are empty, unless you
tell it to use some native dll's.

I have never had a windows partition, and have been running this app
or an earlier version of it since I got serial comms to work in
September 1997.

> CDROM is device /dev/cdrom and path /cdrom. This is correct.
>
> Now I get the following messages:
>
> jl at debian:/mnt/windows/Spiele/Warcraft III$ wine --debugmsg +file war3.exe
> Invoking /usr/bin/wine.bin --debugmsg +file war3.exe ...
,,,
> err:win32:PE_fixup_imports No implementation for
> KERNEL32.dll.190(FindActCtxSectionStringW) imported from
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll, setting to 0xdeadbeef

> trace:file:CreateFileW L"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\wineoss.drv"
> GENERIC_READ FILE_SHARE_READ OPEN_EXISTING  attributes 0x0
> warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to get full filename from
> L"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\wineoss.drv" (GLE 2)
>
> There are a lot of CreateFile-calls and a lot of "No Implementation for
> *.dll"-errors.

Right.  We're doing a file trace of the wine loader.  You only really
need +file if it can't find something you think it should.

> Jens

Did you set the default to
"*" = "native, builtin" or something?  AFAIK there is no native
wineoss.drv, that needs to be builtin.  native rpcrt4 won't work, I
think.  The only native dll's I use are msvcrt, riched32 and mfc* -
because my app installed those.  Seems imm32.dll has enough deadbeef
of its own (calls to undocumented functions we haven't gotten around to
reverse-engineering yet) you don't neeed more from ole32, FI.

<wine>/documentation/samples/config is a good starting point for
[DllOverrides]

--
---oops---