Office apps (Word and Excel) questions

Louis LeBlanc wine at keyslapper.org
Thu Mar 13 11:27:31 CST 2003

Hey all.  I have an interesting one here.

I'm running wine under FreeBSD, not the linux-emulation version, but
the native version.  I never had a Windows installation to work with
though, and the best I could do was run freecell.  Pretty cool from a
proof of concept point, but not really worth the effort in itself.

What I'm trying to do now is take a spare hard drive and install
Windows 2000 in an NTFS partition on it, then mount that into the
FreeBSD system.  My first bout with the wine docs implied that having
a real installation with all the native libs would make a lot of it
quite a bit smoother.

Now, I know there's a commercial product that will allow Office 2K to
run under Linux (and therefore, probably FreeBSD), but I don't really
want Office, just Word and Excel.  Anyone know if there are any
caveats to this?  Where would one go to get the step by step process
of doing this once the install is available?

TIA

Lou