Resolving font trouble, how?

Peter Møller Neergaard peter at mollerneergaard.net
Fri Mar 28 02:04:11 CST 2003

I am using codeweavers-wine under MDK 9.0 with XFree86 4.2.1.

I am trying to run the EphPod (iPod synchronization) program under
wine.  This gives me some font troubles that I cannot figure out to
solve completely satisfactory.

My standard xfs configuration contains among others, the following
font catalogs

      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/Type1,
      /usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives,
      /usr/share/fonts/ttf/western,

which all come with Mandrake (the first one is definitely a Mandrake
font).

When having the first font catalog in my font path, a number of
dialogs ends up having all the characters replaced by small boxes. (I
presume because the character does not exist in the font.)  The last
two catalogs result in the standard font being some Window font.

I would prefer not having to remove these catalogs from my font path.
However I have no clue to how I figure out which Windows font that is
being used so I can map it to something useful.  (I tried debugging
trace+font but was overwhelmed by the info.)

Any suggestions
Thanks

Peter

--
http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
``Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts