Wine Printing Problem

Peter Møller Neergaard peter at mollerneergaard.net
Sun Mar 30 23:09:36 CST 2003

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 01:26:41PM -0800, Duane Clark wrote:
> Despite what that document says, the CUPS autodetect does not seem to
> create entries in windows/win.ini that appear to be needed by Wine/CUPS.
> I have in that files these entries:
>
> [devices]
> hp=WINEPS,LPR:hp
> epson=WINEPS,LPR:epson
> tabloid=WINEPS,LPR:tabloid
>
> [windows]
> device=hp,WINEPS,LPR:hp

I had the same experience with the following observations:
- the entries were in ./wine/WIN.INI.  Wine added some stuff there; I
  don't know if this is because I'm using codeweavers.
- I had to add a ppd section to the config file
- wine is anal in what printer names it except.  Out of the following
  printcap (based on LPRng).  It only accepts the descriptive name,
  e.g.,

    astershaven||HP Laserjet 1200:\

  HP Laserjet 1200 from the following line.  And it will not accept
  the name Default from the following enty

    lp||Default:\
        :tc=.server:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :router=/sbin/choose-printer-from-IP:

  probably because it is not a real printer.  And nor could I get it
  to accept the following entry

    asbestos||Asbestos:\
        :tc=.server:\
        :lp=|/sbin/ssh-lpr achilles.linearity.org turtle:

  perhaps because it is not a standard port.

But when I accepted this I could get printing to work.

/Peter
--
http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
``Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts