(still not) printing (lprng)

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:52:58 CST 2003

SZABO Zsolt wrote:
> I have lprng (debian 3.0) and only a fake_windows (despite, I could
> install a Word97 ;-) and
> ~# dpkg -l libwin* |grep ^i
> ii  libwine        0.0.20030115-2 Windows Emulator (Library)
> ii  libwine-print  0.0.20030115-2 Windows Emulator (Printing Module)
>
> I would like to generate PS file from application such as M$ Word97.

It has been quite awhile since I used Wine with lprng, but I am not sure
where you obtained the settings for win.ini. Go to here:
http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/config-printing

and check section 5.11.2.1.3, and I don't know why that is so heavily
subdivided ;)

> and finally the tail of my .wine/fake_windows/Windows/win.ini:
> [...]
> [devices]
> generic=WINEPS,LPR:generic
> ; what is the meaning of the last field LPR:generic?
> ; (it was originally LPR:hp)

That really does need to say
Wine PostScript Driver=WINEPS,LPT1:

I could be mistaken, but I believe the "Wine PostScript Driver" part
refers to the heading in the registry.

> [windows]
> device=generic,WINEPS,LPR:generic

Same there, and you also need the PrinterPorts section.

Also, I notice that you didn't show this section of the registry, but
since you had the others, I'll assume this one is okay.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows
4.0\Drivers\PS Driver]