Wine and Micro$oft Office

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Nov 8 20:05:40 CST 2003

Christophe wrote:
> After inserting your suggestions in the 'config' file, and in order to keep
> Wine happy, I found these 4 dlls on my NT installation and copied them into
> the Windows\System directory of Wine so Wine can access the native versions of
> dlls.
> ((Do you reckon this is a pb that I used NT versions of dlls ? I don't think
> so since you copied your from a Win2k ~=~ nt50))

You are generally better off with Win98 DLLs, if you have them. That is
what I installed.

Note that I am running Word2K, not Win2K.

> I inserted the same lines for excel.exe (wich is the one prg I first need to
> get working)

Did you also set the "Version" to win98? I don't have Excel, so I don't
know whether it works.

> I guessed I had to make ntdll.dll accessible to native, but it did not
> change anything. Nor as builtin. I also tried to changed the "Wine version" to
> nt40 and still no result.
>
> With winword, I get the same errors but Winword keeps running. Only that I
> still cannot open nor save a document (=the original pb). Winword says "not
> enough memory available", as previously.
>
> But I have the impression I am coming further, and that your comment
> helped.thx. Do you have any new suggestion ? could you pls mail me your config file
> so I can see what else I could have to change ?

My config is otherwise the default one, and in particular the main dll
overrides section is:

[DllOverrides]
"msi"       = "native, builtin"
"msvcrt"       = "native, builtin"
"mciavi.drv"   = "native, builtin"
"mcianim.drv"  = "native, builtin"
"*" = "builtin, native"

If you don't already have a native msvcrt installed, you probably should
install one. I think in this case it really doesn't matter which version
of Win this DLL comes from.