Wine on other Unix platforms.

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Thu Nov 13 12:46:59 CST 2003

Vinod Varkey wrote:
> Hello,
>          On the Wine site it is said that, WINE is a project to run
> WIN32 programs on Linux (correct me if I am wrong).
>
> 1) The question I have is whether the source code for WIn32 API's can be
> used on UNIX platforms like Solaris or HP-UX.

Yes they in theory can. But Wine is not an emulator, and will not allow
you to run Windows binaries on non-X86 platforms. You would need to run
Wine in conjunction with an X86 emulator to do so. Such a project would
require significant programming skills and not be for the faint of heart.

> 2) If it runs on Solaris, will I face issues like Big Endian and little
> Endian.

Likely there would be some Endian issues, but many of those kinds of
bugs have been wrung out in the past, so I doubt there would be an
overwhelming number of them.