success and failure with Wine 20031118

Shachar Shemesh wine-users at shemesh.biz
Thu Nov 27 13:18:12 CST 2003

Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:

> I have been running Word 97 since several versions of Wine now (fake
> windows install), but I had no success with Excel 97. I could install
> it, but it froze when I opened the files menu.
> But now even Excel works, as far as I can say now without serious
> flaws and without too much fumbling with dlloverrides for native dlls
> - kudos!
>
> But an old issue seems to have returned: In Word (or Excel), I can't
> enter German special characters like the notorious Umlauts. There is a
> workaround: Entering
>     export LANG=de_DE
> before calling the applications (or using an appropriate tiny script)
> to change the Redhat 9 default setting which here is LANG=de_DE.UTF-8.
>
> Some Wine versions ago, the characters issue was solved, but now it
> seems to be back?
> Klaus

Hi Klaus,

There are several possible causes for this, but we may need to know
something first. Can you type these characters in notepad (without
setting LANG)?
Also, run "xev" (a native app), and type Umlauts. You will get a bunch
of output on the console from which you ran xev. Some of them should be
notification of a message "Keypress event". Here is an example of
pressing the key "a":
KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    root 0x7b, subw 0x0, time 217472847, (168,-13), root:(1266,7),
    state 0x10, keycode 38 (keysym 0x61, a), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "a"

KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    root 0x7b, subw 0x0, time 217472917, (168,-13), root:(1266,7),
    state 0x10, keycode 38 (keysym 0x61, a), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "a"

You will notice that there is an "a" inside quotes in the last line of
each message. Please identify the apropriate event, and see whether the
Umlaut appears between the quotes. Depending on whether or not it's
there, your problem may have to do with the Unix locale, or with Word
acting up. Hitherto, I have been under the impression that only BiDi
languages (Arabic, Hebrew) are affected, but I may have been wrong on
that one.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh