audio problems with wine-20030911 and RH9

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Tue Oct 7 21:12:48 CDT 2003

Greetings:

  I'm having trouble getting sound from apps that formerly ran very well
with WINE under RH 7.2. The apps in question are the LeafDrums rhythm
composer and the Granulab synthesizer. The first app hangs when I press
its Play button, the second app hangs when I try to load a soundfile
(WAV). No errors are produced (no sound either), though I suspect I need
to adjust my error reporting level. I'll keep trying to get some
meaningful reports from them, but I was wondering if sound was a known
issue with this combination of WINE and RH9. I read in the archives that
some people had trouble compiling WINE under RH9 but I had no trouble at
all building and installing it. I'll be happy to supply more details,
just let me know what's needed. TIA !

  Relevant sections from ~/.wine/config :

[WinMM]
; Uncomment the "Drivers" line matching your sound setting.

;"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"      ; default for most common configurations
;"Drivers" = "winearts.drv"    ; for KDE
"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"    ; for ALSA users
;"Drivers" = "winejack.drv"    ; for Jack sound server
;"Drivers" = "winenas.drv"     ; for NAS sound system
;"Drivers" = "wineaudioio.drv" ; for Solaris machines
;"Drivers" = ""                ; to disable sound
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"

[dsound]
;; HEL only: Number of waveOut fragments ahead to mix in new buffers.
;"HELmargin" = "5"
;; HEL only: Number of waveOut fragments ahead to queue to driver.
;"HELqueue" = "5"
;; Max number of fragments to prebuffer
;"SndQueueMax" = "28"
;; Min number of fragments to prebuffer
;"SndQueueMin" = "12"
;; Forces emulation mode (using wave api)
"HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"
;; Sets default playback device (0 - number of devices - 1)
"DefaultPlayback" = "0"    ; use first device (/dev/dsp)
;"DefaultPlayback" = "1"     ; use second device (/dev/dsp1)
;"DefaultPlayback" = "2"     ; use third device (/dev/dsp2)
;; Sets default capture device (0 - number of devices - 1)
"DefaultCapture" = "0"        ; use first device (/dev/dsp)
;"DefaultCapture" = "1"        ; use second device (/dev/dsp1)
;"DefaultCapture" = "2"        ; use third device (/dev/dsp2)

  Btw, I've tried both OSS and ALSA, same problem. :(

== Dave Phillips