MDAC & TurboLister

James E. LaBarre jamesl at bestweb.net
Thu Oct 9 19:52:15 CDT 2003

I have been attempting to install eBay's TurdboLister app under Wine for
some months now (it's one of the last apps I need to run under Wine in
order to move my brother's computer to Linux).  TL, unfortunately, has
nearly *all* the bad attributes to it; it requires Internyet Exploder &
MDAC, is a newer InstallShield installer, and due to eBay's outrageous &
perpetual fees for an app to even *use* their APIs, it is absolutely
unfeasible to develop an OSS replacement.

I expect there's some combination of DLL overrides one could use to get
MDAC to install, but even with "wine --debugmsg +loaddll" I still can't
figure what it's looking for (any tutorials on *how* do interpret the
output?).

I thought the TL installer might handle the MDAC install by itself, but
I think it's hanging up in exactly the same place as the MDAC install
does by itself.  That installer has a way to extract the files from the
install package, but without knowing what registry entries it might
need, or where it wants files, not much help there.

So what is the unpublished secret to *discovering* these undocumented
settings?  I could put together my own HOWTO for it, once I figure that
part out.