Running Internet Explorer under Wine

Webmaster at care.org Webmaster at care.org
Wed Oct 15 13:00:03 CDT 2003

Hello,
First off, I should let you know that I'm new to Wine...  On a fresh copy of
RedHat 9, I installed the most recent version of Wine (from source) and it
seems to be working fine.  However, one of the biggest reasons I put Wine on
this machine was so I can run a copy of Internet Explorer under Linux.
However, I haven't been able to locate a full network install of IE6, and
their setup program complains about needing a Window OS...  (the nerve!!).

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Has anyone been able to run IE under
Wine?  If so, how?  I'd prefer IE6, since that's the latest, but 5.5 would
be ok too.

By the way, before anyone starts...  I know about the various Open Source
browsers and all that, I prefer Mozilla.  But, I have to be able to test web
application under IE, and I'd REALLY prefer not to bother with a MS system
if I can help it.  Regardless of whether we like MS products or not, they
have 90% of the desktop market and browser market, so if you are
professionally building a web applications or sites or any other thing that
uses a web browser and is going to be publicly accessible, you're fooling
yourself (and being a rather poor software designer) if you let your *nix
pride keep you from testing on IE.

(The preceding paragraph is in response the some of the worthless responses
I saw in the archives regarding any question about using IE under Wine... I
didn't find any actual answers, just replies about changing User-Agents and
snipes about IE users...  It's not a question of user agent, it a question
of stuff not working in IE.  If it doesn't work in IE and you want the world
to see it...  Then that mean your world is less than 10% of the
internet-going population of the world...)

Flame me if you want (you'll hear my eyes rolling from across the world, I
guarantee), but someone at least answer my questions first.

If IE can't run under Wine... I guess I'll have to use VMWare and install
Windows... *shudders*

Thanks
-mike