err:wave:IDsDriverBufferImpl_Stop ioctl(/dev/dsp, SNDCTL_DSP_SETTRIGGER) failed (Invalid argument)

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu Oct 16 13:17:35 CDT 2003

Robert Reif wrote:

>Some games (either intentionally or unintentionally) create more
>than one DirectSound object.  Windows tolerates more than
>one object and does the right thing but wine only has a single
>global object per program and reuses it rather than creating a
>new one.  This confuses wine because defaults are not reset
>and reference counting gets messed up.  I have looked into
>fixing this but I have not seen any documentation anywhere
>which describes the proper operation under this circumstance.
>
>I haven't had the time or access to win9x systems to try and
>figure out by trial and error exactly what is going on when
>multiple DirectSound objects are created.  I have a patch that
>moves towards multiple active objects but I don't have a
>complete solution yet.

OK, now that's interesting-- not that I know anything about this, but in
general, I get what you mean.

So 3 questions:

1. Has Wine's handling of these sort of objects changed in the past 4
months or so? I'm sorry to say that I did not make much note of the Wine
version that at least DeusEx and IWD2 ran under, but I'm pretty sure it
was around June or July of this year. DeusEx at least had other problems
(probably due to the somewhat spotty OpenGL of the G400), but this
looping sound thing seems to have worsened very recently, because for
instance, I could turn the music off on IWD2 and the regular sounds
would still work, not loop as they do now. So my uninformed impression
is that something that was working to some extent has broken worse,
which might be trackable.

2. Since I do have access to a 9x system (as well as a Win2K system, and
several Linux distros--I multiboot 7 OSes), is there anything that a
non-programmer like myself could do to gather data that would help you
(or anyone else working on this) narrow down the issue? I'm happy to
make whatever contribution I can.

3. I have just discovered that VIA offers Linux drivers for the VIA
chipsets, including my 8233 onboard sound. My various distros currently
use ALSA or OSS with the AC'97 codec. Is there any possibility that
installing the actual VIA drivers might serve in some way to resolve
this issue?

Thanks for responding.

Holly Bostick