where does regedit want to put the registry file?

deedee emrys943 at netscape.net
Sun Sep 7 14:00:29 CDT 2003

Hi Dan,

I hope you have your problem solved by now. In case you haven't, you
might try the following.

Check to see that it didn't actually work first. You should have a
fairly large system.reg and user.reg in ~/.wine (on the order of 5Mb
and 1Mb, respectively) -- my userdef.reg has always been quite small.
If the files are not there, are very small, or if you get back an error
when you try to run something that the registry is not correct, I've
found the following to always work.

When adding the registry (using regedit winedefault.reg), change
"SaveOnlyUpdatedKeys" = "Y" to "N" in ~/.wine/config with a Linux text
editor. After running regedit (and it may still give an error message),
you need to change "SaveOnlyUpdatedKeys" back to "Y". I've found that
ensures that regedit will install winedefault.reg correctly every time.
You don't need to be root to do it.

deedee