Sending SETI units from SETI Driver

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Tue Sep 30 06:58:24 CDT 2003

OK, it seems to be time to clear up this confusion, as several people
have responded with advice to either run the native Linux SETI client,
or warnings that running two units at once will slow the processing down
so much that it won't be worth it.

Well, first of all, that wasn't my question, but fine..... As it
happens, I do run both the Linux and Windows clients simultaneously
(which is to say that I know about the Linux client, thank you all), and
it appears that running SETI Driver (which then runs the Windows
command-line SETI client) while the native Linux client is running *only
slows down the native client, not the Windows client*. The Linux client
slows down to half-speed, but the Windows client runs at the same speed
(just about), so in the same time I get about half a unit more done per
cycle. If I'm not using my PC, this can add up by the end of 24 hours.
We only have two machines on our little team-within-a-team, so if I can
crunch a few extra units for us, I like to do so, as it keeps the
previously-mentioned boyfriend happy, and he's the only reason I'm
farking around with SETI in the first place.

I have not tried running the Windows SETI client alone (without SETI
Driver), to see if this effect is caused by the way that SETI Driver
interacts with it (i.e., the Windows client would slow down if it was
running without SETI Driver, or was being cached by lin-seti or
setiproxy rather than SETI Driver), and I have not tried running SETI
Driver or the Windows client from a Linux partition, to see if that
would cause the traditional slowdown. Nor have I done a consistent test
to gather "hard data" on this phenomenon, but it does appear that I
crunch more units with the two clients running under my current
configuration.

With that out of the way, my "problem" is that SETI Driver seems unable
to transmit completed units. This does not affect anything, since it
continues to process even when trying and failing to transmit, and of
course I can turn auto transmit and display transmit off (which I have
done). However, it does mean that I have to stop what I'm doing and
reboot to Windows to upload the units, which is naturally a bit annoying.

I assumed that this was a problem with my Wine settings which needed to
be adjusted in order to allow SETI Driver to do whatever it does to
upload the units. But since I don't know anything about how either Wine
or SETI Driver work, I might be completely wrong and the problem is with
settings in SETI Driver, or perhaps there is no such Wine configuration
setting that the user can adjust.

I do not know, which is why I asked if someone here might know enough
about their operation to suggest what might be the problem, given that
SETI Driver appears to work perfectly otherwise under Wine20030813 for
both Debian and Slackware.

Holly