Morrowind sees wine as a debugger and refuses to start.

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Thu Apr 15 13:23:22 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:57:19AM +0200, Anze Slosar wrote:

> > I successfully installed Morrowind. Unfortunately, the game won't start. It
> > issues a small popup saying a debugger has been detected, and that the
> > debugger needs to be closed for the game to run.
> >
> > Is there any way I can avoid programs to see Wine as a debugger?
>
> No, they don't see wine as a debugger, what happens is that if wine can't
> handle something, it will start a debugger to help developers work out
> what is going on... The debugger is a symptom, rahter than a problem....

That's not the question he was asking.  The question is specifically
about the window that Safedisc displays when it has detected a debugger
through whatever heuristics it uses.  Another suggestion is to use a
crack to run the game, which in the case of Safedisc is the only way it
will work at the moment (due to the inability of WINE to load the
Safedisc security driver).  That still doesn't answer the question,
which could be rephrased as:

How are programs determining that WINE is a "debugger", and how can we
cloak that information from the program?

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>