wine and device installation?

Matthias Schweinoch schweinoch at mt.mb.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Apr 16 04:03:20 CDT 2004

hi all,

i have managed to get my application (step 7 microwin) running
perfectly under wine: the real trouble was just getting past the
installation, since setupapi and setupx aren't fully implemented in wine
yet.

anyway, this application is something of a programming environment for
an S7, which is a programmable controlling unit (to operate different
machines). i can hook up the S7 to my computer via serial port cable,
and this works without problems straight out of wine.

the S7 also has an ethernet jack so that i could connect it to my PC via
ethernet cable. under windows, i simply load the program, then choose
the connection method, and, if an ethernet adapter is installed, i can
select it... which is my problem under wine: i have no ethernet adapter
"installed" as i would have it under windows, and since this device is
not present, i can't select it.

ah, so the question really is: how can i "trick" the application into
thinking an ethernet adapter is present? as far as i know, the app only
requires the device driver to be present, and doesn't require any
additional protocols (such as TCP/IP)...

any ideas or suggestions?

thanks for the help in advance.

matthias