web pages not shown with Internet Explorer 6 IE6 on RedHat 9

Martin marthter at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 24 18:11:41 CDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I need to use IE for a specific business site that requires it (yes, I
know about browser spoofing with Mozilla; that gets me a little further
into the site, but critical functionality does not work).

It seems to install, and run, but for any URI it remains blank white in
the web page area of the window (even for file:/// URIs).

I have tried all three methods from Frank's Corner's IE6 SP1 page.

My distribution is Redhat 9
My CPU (from /proc/cpuinfo) is AMD Athlon XP
So I figured I need the wine-20040408-1rh9winehq.athlon.rpm

Here are notes on _exactly_ what I did with what results for my last
attempt on method 3:

(as root)
rpm -ivh wine-20040408-1rh9winehq.athlon.rpm
    (not sure if it matters, but I got the message
     /sbin/ldconfig: Input file /usr/lib/libgtkembedmoz.so
     not found)

(as my own user)
as per step 1, ran wine ; it created ~/.wine directory

as per step 2
cd ~/.wine
cp -p config config.orig
vi config (commented out the whole existing DllOverrides section and cut
and pasted the lines given in step 2)

as per step 3
wget
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/ie6setup.exe
and ran the command
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32=n" wine dcom98.exe
got lots of output, mostly about fonts, except at the very end:

fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo DBCS fonts like
'-daewoo-gothic-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-160-ksc5601.1987-0'
are not working correctly now.
Font metrics: 9.9% done
Font metrics: 10.3% done
Font metrics: 10.8% done
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-mutt-clearlyu arabic
extra-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-101-fontspecific-0' has unknown
registry 'fontspecific' and character encoding '0'
fixme:setupapi:SETUPX_CreateStandardLDDs LDID_SRCPATH: what exactly do
we have to do here ?
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\system\\dcom98.inf"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\system\\dcomcnfg.hlp"
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xf4a0, 0705, 0000, 00000000,
401f1ea4) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xf4a0, 070f, 0000, 00000000,
401f1ea4) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xf4a0, 0710, 0000, 00000000,
401f1ea4) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xf4a0, 070b, 0000, 00000000,
401f1ea4) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xf4a0, 070c, 0000, 00000000,
401f1ea4) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO

as per step 4, downloaded ie6setup.exe and ran
wine ie6setup.exe
got error

The Windows Update: Internet Explorer and Internet Tools cannot be
installed on this computer.
This product requireds Microsoft Windows 98, Windows NT Version 4.0 with
Service Pack 6a, or Windows 2000 or later.  [OK]

I've seen in other Wine pages that I one generally has to set the
version so I uncommented the Windows line in ~/.wine/config:
[Version]
"Windows" = "win98"

I suggest adding this to the steps because, starting from a fresh .wine
directory (as per step 1) the uninitiated user won't know to do this.
After changing the version in the config file, I re-ran
wine ie6setup.exe

(got messages, but it seemed to proceed anyway...)
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateL

oadingFromResourceW Animated icons not correctly implemented! 0x40fd0000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon entry found!
0x40fd0000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon size ok.
offset=0x40fd0074
fixme:setupapi:SETUPX_CreateStandardLDDs LDID_SRCPATH: what exactly do
we have to do here ?

agreed to license; chose custom install; just the browser and vbscript
support (as per step 4)

this fully finished "Downloading Components", but while "Installing
Components" it stalled at 76%, and in the terminal, it was printing
fixme:thunk:CommonUnimpStub generic stub: ?
fixme:thunk:CommonUnimpStub generic stub: ?
fixme:thunk:CommonUnimpStub generic stub: ?
millions of times in a seemingly infinite loop, as fast as X would allow
(taking 85% cpu for X, 12% for gnome-terminal, 0.7% for wine-pthread)

clicked cancel, which popped up the are you sure window, clicked Yes,
but that stalled too, with same message still printing to terminal.

Did Ctrl-C in the terminal and tried again (now that the files were
downloaded)

wine ie6setup.exe
got two thunk32 popups and these messages
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW Animated icons not
correctly implemented! 0x40fd0000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon entry found!
0x40fd0000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon size ok.
offset=0x40fd0074
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
err:thunk:_loadthunk (W95INF16.DLL, w95thk_ThunkData16, W95INF32.DLL):
Unable to load 'W95INF16.DLL', error 2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
err:thunk:_loadthunk (W95INF16.DLL, w95thk_ThunkData16, W95INF32.DLL):
Unable to load 'W95INF16.DLL', error 2

but after clicking OK to both popups, Windows update continued, asking
about resume or run from beginning; chose resume; got message:

Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all
applications and try running Setup again [OK]

step 4 says to expect to get one error, so maybe this is it. It also
says I will get a notice that the exception pack wasn't installed, but I
didn't get anything like that.

clicked OK

got several more messages on terminal:
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
err:thunk:_loadthunk (W95INF16.DLL, w95thk_ThunkData16, W95INF32.DLL):
Unable to load 'W95INF16.DLL', error 2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
err:thunk:_loadthunk (W95INF16.DLL, w95thk_ThunkData16, W95INF32.DLL):
Unable to load 'W95INF16.DLL', error 2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
Could not load 'SETUPX.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2

and then it finished (with two more thunk popups)

as per step 5, I ran wine wineboot, but saw no error messages or winedbg
starting, as suggested in that step, the command just returned right away

as per step 6, "just run it from the directory", there is nothing in my
~/.wine/c/Program Files/Internet Explorer directory, except the
Uninstall Information directory and 6 files in there.

So actually (for anyone who with the patience to bear with me so far),
this retry that I did to try to document exactly what happened when, has
actually been worse that my first crack at methods 1, 2, and 3, when I
was able to get it installed, and it run, but it just wouldn't display
any pages.  The difference was in those first cases I used WineSetupTk
(from rpm) immediately after the rpm install.

It would appear that either bugs have been introduced in Wine since
these instructions were written, or perhaps bugs have been fixed in Wine
that cause some of the DllOverride settings as provided to no longer be
correct.

In this pass (where followed the instructions more explicitly, i.e. I
didn't do WineSetupTk), the only thing I did different from method 3 was
not getting the .cab files before hand with an older version of wine.
There are no older (2003) versions of Wine available on SourceForge any
more.

Any help appreciated, especially from Wine gurus who can answer with
specifics and reasons of what is failing and why and how to remedy it.

Cheers.

Martin