[Wine]Video Codecs, Video Editing and Wine

Dan McGhee farmerdan at i-rule.net
Tue Aug 3 20:46:49 CDT 2004

I am trying to get a video editing application, Edit Studio 4, working
in wine.  I think I have been successful except for previewing the
project once it is assembled.

When I click on the "play" button for the preview, the initial frame
plays for about two seconds, the screen then goes black and then, at the
end of the preview, the last frame shows as a still image.  I'm pretty
sure I'm up against a codec situation.

I learned tonight that windows does not come with MPEG2 codecs and that
Edit Studio uses windows and DirectX codecs--I don't know which ones
yet.  The "Developers-Hints" describes msvideo.dll and msrle32.dll as
"video codecs" and the "Wine Developer's Guide" describes msvfw32.dll as
a "32-bit windows video system."  With the knowlege that I gained about
MPEG2 codecs, is it a good assumption to say that the dll's I just
mentioned are MPEG1 codecs?

The "Wine Developer's Guide" describes d3d*.dll as "DriectX/Direct
drawing libraries."  I have concluded that d3d8 would imply DirectX8.
Is that correct?

The [mci] portion of the wine system.ini file contains the line:
MPEGVideo2=mciqtz.drv
Is this an MPEG2 codec?  If so, I don't know how to point Edit Studio to
it.  Any pointers?

In the same system.ini file, lines containing ir50.dll, ir32.dll and
iccvid.dll, in the [drivers] section, are commented out.  Are these
necessary for what I'm trying to do?

The system.ini file from an ME partition contains the lines:
[drivers]
VIDC.UYVY=msyuv.dll
VIDC.YUY2=msyuv.dll]
VIDC.YVYU=msyuv.dll
VIDC.MPG4=mpg4c32.dll
VIDC.MP42=mpg4c32

Do these refer to MPEG2 codecs?

[Two more questions, then I'm done <G>]

If any of the lines I mentioned above need to be added to the wine
system.ini file,  I know that I need to put the dll into
c:\\windows\\system.  Do I also need to use DllOverride either in the
command line or [AppDefaults] to load them?

Lastly, I have read that Xvid "crosses all barriers"--don't know I
couldn.t get the binary to intall in wine.  However, I have the tar.bz2
file.  If I install that, does wine, if I reinstall it, pick up on the
linux version of the codec and point to it?  Or, would I need to learn
winelib and do it that way?

Sorry this has been so lengthy.  I don't know how I could have asked
these questions more simply and directly.  Thanks for your patience in
reading it and thank you for any knowlege that you send me.

Dan