[Wine]You must copy a 'stdole32.tlb' file to your Windows\System directory!

sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
Wed Aug 4 15:33:58 CDT 2004

My past post concerning using Wine on top of X.org version of X Windows I resolved. My dosdevices directory was referencing an old directory, when I thought it had be updated. Windows notepad.exe lives again!

My goal with Wine is to setup a program I purchased called Storyboard Quick which runs on Windows 95 and above. I attempted to perform an install... two questions exist here:

First, how are you supposed to perform an installation of a Windows program?
I copied the installation files to a directory within the path of the mapped C:\ drive (C:\storyboard) changed directory to it so that my current directory was /home/steven/.wine/fake_windows/storyboard and executed:

wine InstallQuick.exe

How does the setup routine know that the current (mapped) directory is C:\storyboard ???
Anyhow, I don't believe the setup routine cares, but this is the first time I've tried it so I have no clue. Also, the setup file is that one file; InstallQuick.exe, so it should be self contained without needing calls to supporting CAB files.

The error that it produced was:

steven at www:~/.wine/fake_windows/storyboard$ wine InstallQuick.exe

You must copy a 'stdole32.tlb' file to your Windows\System directory!
You can get one from a Windows installation, or look for the DCOM95 package
on the Microsoft Download Pages.
wine: Unhandled exception (thread 000b), starting debugger...
Usage: winedbg [--auto] [--gdb] cmdline

The second question; the config file for Wine declares Windows 98 environment. Do I need to copy the stdole32.dll from my Windows 98 system on my laptop? or will another Window > 3.x suffice?

I'd assume this file exists on my laptop since this program is installed there. My work machine is a Windows XP and it has that file under C:\windows\system32, will this one work?

Thanks for tolerating my newbie question.