[Wine]Partially working app broke when wine configured

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 12 18:24:36 CDT 2004

  Host system: wine-20040716-nodebug on Slackware-10.0 with 512M RAM.

  I just installed the latest wine. Had to use the tarball source to get
~/.wine and all its components, then used the Slackware package to install
the application. Did not run winecfg at this point.

  The application I'm trying to run is a proprietary one (in the sense that
it was never widely sold, if sold at all). The application I'm trying now to
run is the demo version (tflops.exe). Wine fired up just file and I could
load a model file in the tflops.exe window. However, when I tried to run the
demo model, the tflops.exe tried to call flops.exe but wine reported that it
could not run the second file.

  Thinking that I needed to configure wine so it see the second executable,
I fired up winecfg. I added the two .exe files, specified win98 and dos6.22
in the appropriate places and removed the "z:\" drive (/ on the linux box).
The virtual "c:\" drive is ~/.wine/drive_c/. As soon as I accepted the
changes to winecfg and closed the dialog box, wine refused to start. It
tells me that it cannot find the DOS drive on the '/' directory, that
"c:\\windows" and its subdirectories are not accessible and other errors.

  What do I do to restore the working configuration I had?

  Then, how do I debug the reason why the one .exe cannot seem to invoke the
second .exe on the same "drive"?

TIA,

Rich

--