[Wine]Partially working app broke when wine configured

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 12 19:20:11 CDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com wrote:

> ~/.wine is usually autogenerated when you run wine or wineconfig for the
> first time, right?

Michael,

  I don't know. It doesn't help for me to rename the config file in ~/.wine
to something else. It _had_ run the demo until I ran winecfg.

> Maybe poorly written app?  Can you give us some info on the debug output?

  The app works well on VMware on another box. I can provide debugging info
when I get wine working again.

> Didn't you back up ~/.wine/config ?

  No. I completely forgot about it.

> If not, can't you just reextract your ~/.wine configuration files from
> your source tarball?

  Neither the source tarball nor the slack package contain a file named
"config".

> Oh, so *that's* why you didn't include debug input... try looking at
> manpages for wine and winedbg, I believe, shall help you.  As they say,
> "RTFM".

  Strangely enough, I read the man pages (wine and wine.conf) plus the FAQ
on the Web site before I wrote for help. And, you're correct: they are fine
manuals.

  When I invoke either 'wine tflops.exe' or 'winedbg tflops.exe' (or the
fully-qualified path name equivalents) I see the messages:

Warning: the specified Windows directoryL"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified Windows directoryL"c:\\windows\\system" is not accessible.
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory
'/home/rshepard' starting in the Windows directory.
couldn't start process tflops.exe

Thanks,

Rich

--