[Wine]Nasty segfault problem...

Paolo oopla at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 13 10:04:29 CDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 06:14:16AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Paolo wrote:
>
> > Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not accessible.
> > Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\Windows\\System" is not accessible.
>
> paolo,
>
>   The same version gave these same warnings to me after I futzed with the
> winecfg. I completely removed and reinstalled the application and this
> problem went away. Considering what it is doing, I'm not terribly surprised.
> I now know to leave all the drives wine finds and letters.

aha - I used to let winesetup 'edit' the config, then commit; I supposed it
would straighten things up to what installed wine requires. This doesn't seem
the case, so tryed 'overwrite' to everything and got a clean config - well
at least now I get just:

wine --version
Wine 20040716
Wine exited with a successful status

and a couple of custom winapps seem to run fine again.
But 'look&feel' shows only 3 choices now: W3.1, W95, W98 - why?

I run into troubles with an app that complains that the ODBC installer
(ODBCCP32.DLL) isn't there ... but this might be the topic of a next posting,
once I managed to check things better (this app never worked though, due
to lack of SQLsomething).

Also, trying to install a labelling prg, I get:

fixme:ole:LoadTypeLibEx Wanted to load L"stdole32.tlb" as typelib, but file was not found

and install exits. Seems it wants DCOM95: tried but got (roughly)
	'dcom95 is for W95, you have W98'
fine then, tried DCOM98, but got
	'a newer version of DCOM is installed...'
well, nevermind, that was just for trying, but to install/use DCOM I'd need
a W9x license, and I don't have it here, as I'm on a fully fake Windoz.
So I won't install/use that prg.

-- paolo

 GPG/PGP id:0x21426690 kfp:EDFB 0103 A8D8 4180 8AB5  D59E 9771 0F28 2142 6690