[Wine] [solved] wine-20040716 and kernel 2.6.7 problems

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Fri Aug 13 17:41:16 CDT 2004

Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> After I upgraded to kernel 2.6.7 on my fedora core 2 system, I have one
> problem with wine. In this kernel, the binfmt_misc feature is not built
> as a module, but compiled into the kernel. Therefore, the 'modprobe
> binfmt_misc' command in the wine startup script fails. The script needs
> to be modified to only run the modprobe if /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc is
> not found.
>
> Secondly, under this new kernel, the permissions of
> /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc are:
>
> dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Aug 13 22:52 /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
>
> And therefore, the wine startup script fails to register wine as a
> handler for windows executables, because it cannot write into the
> 'register' file (which by the way, does not exist). I can no longer run
> windows programs by double-clicking on them, or typing the name at the
> shell prompt.
>
> When I filed this complaint in the fedora bugzilla, Arjan said that it
> wasn't their problem; that it was an upstream kernel problem. Is anyone
> else experiencing this problem? Have you found a fix for it yet?

Geoffrey Leach from the Fedora list provided a hint to solving this
problem. I had to add:

none  /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc  binfmt_misc  defaults  0 0

to my /etc/fstab, to access the features of the compiled-in binfmt_misc
code. I then removed the line:

/sbin/modprobe binfmt_misc &>/dev/null

from the /etc/init.d/wine script, as it is no longer needed. I suppose I
could have left it in, as it does no harm, and it does not complain
because it throws away the error message. Now the script starts just
fine, and I can again start my windows applications as before. There are
no bugs to solve.