[Wine]MagiC PC installer doesn't like wine

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Fri Aug 13 20:55:34 CDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:30:07AM +0100, Robert Best wrote:

> I've wine installed as part of SuSE Linux 9.1 Pro and it works fine for
> several windows prgs.
> I try to install the Atari emulator Magic PC (because it is better than
> STonX).
> Wine starts the installer of MagiC, Setup.exe, which gives the message
> "can't open ...
> Setup.ex_".
> Setup.exe works under win98 but under wine it looks for itself with the
> wrong extension .ex_

Most setup files are self-extracting executables, which then run a
compressed setup program contained within - that's why in many setup
programs at the beginning you get a dialog box indicating that it's
preparing its xxx setup wizard to help you install the program.  It's
possible that Setup.ex_ is a data file that is supposed to be executed
after the selfextract routine to run the program.  It might also be an
issue with poorly designed routines that call other programs.  Can you
give a context to this error, such as what generated the error message
(the program or WINE), and what portions of the program did work, and
any error messages that might have been displayed on the underlying
console (assuming you start it from an xterm)?

> MagiC PC test version can be downloaded from
> www.application-systems.de/atari/

I'd look into this more, but I'm short on time, don't understand the
language, and don't have time to look for a computer translation site.
Might look into it later.  See if anyone else helps.