[Wine]a bit more config probs

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Fri Aug 13 21:17:02 CDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 05:41:26PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> Hi,
> getting there slowly, the three missing directories below where exactly
> in the windows structure do they go ?
> ie /var/lib/wine/ ???

In your virutal (or real) windows drive.  I would presume
~/.wine/dosdevices/c: would have a symlink to this directory, if your
wine version is recent enough.

> [richard at g8jvm richard]$ wine Echolink
> err:shell:SHGetFolderPathW Failed to create directory
> 'L"C:\\WINDOWS\\Temporary Internet Files"'.

This is an IE folder.  It's name explains it's purpose - it's a cache.

> err:shell:SHGetFolderPathW Failed to create directory
> 'L"C:\\WINDOWS\\History"'.err:shell:SHGetFolderPathW Failed to create

This is a virtual IE folder - it's usually under one of those special
cryptic names like C:\Windows\{234D-562K-34D2...} or something like
that; a normal folder should do okay here though.  Not sure how the
files inside would be handled, however.

> directory 'L"C:\\WINDOWS\\Cookies"'.fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub

IE Cookies storage - This is sometimes in the Temp I-net or Temp
folders, other times it's in the Windows directory -- it was a folder
full of text files with names such as <supposed-user>@<domain>.<ext> -
some people prefered Netscape on Windows for the mere reason that all
it's cookies were in one file.

> fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance just using first face for now

There's a reason why it's noted with a fixme - wine needs coding so that
it can properly pick the fonts from the X / X font
server(s)/directory(ies).  Try looking through wine-devel or similar to
see whether this is being worked on, or try working on a patch.  Wine is
open source, you know.