[Wine]VVDQ : GPS/topo-map software?

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Sat Aug 14 20:32:03 CDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 10:26:35AM -0400, Beartooth wrote:
> Can anyone please hazard a guess at an estimate for a poor old squirrel
> hunter with a Very Very Dumb Question? Is wine likely to be able to
> install and run any of the proprietary GPS-interfacing topo map programs
> (DeLorme, Garmin, Mapquest, et al.) at any roughly predictable future
> date? The season opens in three weeks, my GPS (Garmin's etrex vista) is

What hardware interface/bus is used?  Is this a USB device, a serial
device, or parallel port device, a device put into a cradle connected to
a PCI card, etc. etc.  That'd let us figure out what underlying support
would be necessary to run this hardware.

> full -- and it still contains road maps instead of topo maps, because I
> can't upload the good ones from linux (FC1). I'm getting almost hard up
> enough to break down and run MegaScat for real on some throw-away machine
> kept offline.  How long will it be, if I do,  before I can take such a
> machine out and shoot it to put it out of its misery?

Unless someone is assigned to this project, there probably is no such
date, or it is unknown.  If you wish, you can take a shot at fixing
this; try contacting wine-devel if you want to help.