[Wine]permissions, kernel-2.6.8, and wine-20040813

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 22:36:21 CDT 2004

Joel,

Did you read the release notes on the Fedora kernal?

Here there are:

Product     : Fedora Core 2
Name        : kernel
Version     : 2.6.8
Release     : 1.521
Summary     : The Linux kernel (the core of the Linux operating system)
Description :
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
Linux operating system.  The kernel handles the basic functions
of the operating system:  memory allocation, process allocation, device
input and output, etc.

Update Information:

This update kernel updates the Fedora Core 2 kernel to version 2.6.8.
Included in this new upstream kernel are several fixes on the networking
front, including traffic shaping and window scaling fixes.

Note: This kernel includes several Execshield cleanups and changes, and as a
result programs that make certain restrictive assumptions about the virtual
address space (such as Wine) need a different workaround than before.
The applications can get the old (legacy) VA layout via the
setarch -L
option when a recent enough serarch application is in use, in addition there
now is a global switch to go to the legacy VA layout:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/legacy_va_layout

I would recommend disabling exec-shield or following the recommendations from
RedHat.

Kevin