[Wine]Jump Start Games (3rd Grade) Almost working

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Mon Aug 23 20:58:46 CDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:39:06PM -0600, Art Edwards wrote:
> michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 01:20:24PM -0600, Art Edwards wrote:
> >

> >>I'm running the most recent Debian unstable wine package on a purely
> >>Debian box (2.6.6 kernel with alsa, a VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio
> >>Controller). I have the Jump Start games installed and nearly running.
> >>That is, the initial window comes up (where you decide whether to play,
> >>or evaluate, etc.) In this window sound works perfectly. However, inside
> >>the game, there is no sound. The video seems to work perfectly well. If
> >>

> >Are you sure that your sound is set up correctly?  Are you sure it's
> >compatable with wine's implementation of DirectSound?  And have you any
> >debug logs, or have you contacted wine-devel?  Try looking for
> >information on logging in programs on wine; it involves using the
> >command line (i.e. xterm) to run wine.
> >

> I have now been able to look at some errors. It appears that there is a
> problem with mci. I put a post out asking about this that I'll quote here:
>
> "fixme:mci:MCI_LoadMciDriver Couldn't load driver for type MUSIC.
> If you don't have a windows installation accessible from Wine,
> you perhaps forgot to create a [mci] section in system.ini
>
> OK,
> 1. Where is system.ini?
> 2. What do I put there? "

system.ini (and win.ini, if you are going to ask about it later) are
found in the C:\Windows directory on Windows 98, although I'm not sure
about anything newer than that (the NT based or NT-hybrid versions, i.e.
2000 (NT 5), ME, XP, etc.).  I'll check my native Win98 system when I
get a chance and see if there's an [mci] section you can attempt to copy
or look at.

> I have tried playing with the config file. It was not happy when I
> switched to the alsa driver. Also, I have cludged together a fake
> system.ini that did not help. I noticed that there are several
> mci*.drv's that are absent in fake_windows, yet present in a w98
> installation. Are these works in progress?

They're probably emulated as builtins by wine, if they're supported at
all.  If there's a fixme, then that means someone knows there's a
problem, but it hasn't been dealt with yet.  Probably incomplete,
although I'm not sure if it's being actively worked on.  Try asking
wine-devel about that.

> >BTW, Are these games known to work on any prior setups (i.e. older
> >kernels or older wines)?  And can you give us an exact dated version,
> >since debian and wine just released new packages?  You can run "dpkg -l
> >| grep 'wine'" (or use "dpkg -l | less" or "dpkg -l | more" and hand
> >search for wine) and look for your installed version of wine, it's
> >usually a date like 20040813 followed by some things.
> >

> No, I have not had success previously with these games. Here is the
> information on
> the deb packages. As you can see even unstable is now one month behind
> winehq.

Not surprised.  The debian maintainer probably hasn't made the debs yet.
You can custom build your own, like I said.  Besides, the Aug. release
had a completely new config system (I think).