[Wine]batch file fails, individual programs in it run

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Aug 24 19:31:08 CDT 2004

I posted to the list a day or two ago about a problem that I thought was
related to a new kernel

As it turns out, I've discovered that I *can* run programs in Wine as
a non-privileged user; what fails for me is calling those same programs
from a batch file.

To summarize what I've found:

Suppose that 'foo.exe' is the complete text of foo.bat, and make it

'wine foo.exe' works both for root and for others.
'wine start.exe foo.bat' works for root but fails for others.

The errors look like this:

fixme:exec:ShellExecuteExW32 flags ignored: 0x00000500
fixme:exec:SHELL_ExecuteW Strange error set by CreateProcess: 203
fixme:exec:SHELL_ExecuteW Strange error set by CreateProcess: 203
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specifi
ed file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: Environment variable not found

Additionally, 'wine start.exe' with no arguments works fine for all users---it
prints the help for start.exe. So there's no problem running start.exe; it's
the ShellExecuteEx call in it that's failing.

This worked (for me, at least) in 20040505, and hasn't in any release since.