[Wine] diablo 1 fun and troubles

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Fri Aug 27 16:26:35 CDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Philippe Anctil wrote:
> > > Another thing I noticed with Cedega is, multiplayer hangs really quick.
> >
> >Well, maybe it does so when the game tries to save a multiplayer character
> >to the file?  The interval of time between savings (in multiplayer mode)
> >is about 1-2 minutes.
>
> Could be that. I don't know Diablo enough to tell. I never played in multi.
> I tried only recently under Wine.

BTW, multiplayer mode of Diablo 1 until some time was the best thing I had
seen in the gaming world:  you can fight, you can die, you can try
recovering your unique stuff even for some hours or days, or you can
simply abandon all that and start from the zero.  This ruled my mind. :-]

> BTW do you know of a good doc to start hacking wine? I have plenty of
> programming knowledge but the size of Wine is discouraging me. I checked on
> winehq org but most of the doc seems to be very api oriented. I don't know
> where to start.

I think the api-orientation isn't a bad thing.  Api is some kind
of standard, so we should strictly know what to expect.

I would start by downloading and installing an approximately same versions
of Wine and WineX (Cedega).  Then I would compare their output to console,
the "diff -u" command is great for that task (most of time).

If that would differ much, I would go for enabling "ddraw" debug channel
both for Wine and WineX:

WINEDEBUG=+ddraw wine ...

redirecting outputs to some log files, and then I would start comparing
these outputs.

BTW, what video card and X server are you using?