[Wine] Re: Pegasus Mail: Opening HTTP links in linux browser

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Sun Aug 29 10:48:34 CDT 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Timo Steuerwald wrote:
> The same problem appeared also in my installation as long as I have something like
> [Software\\CLASSES\\htmlfile\\shell\\open\\command] 1093620621
> @="\"C:\\Windows\\konqueror.exe\" \"%1\""p
> in system.reg (where konqueror.exe is the "wrapper" script for konqueror).
> Konqueror will be started with the URL "%1".
>
> Even now i replaced the item again with the old setting
> [Software\\CLASSES\\http\\shell\\open\\command] 1093620621
> @="winebrowser %1"
> and adjusted the winebrowser settings in user.reg:
> [Software\\Wine\\WineBrowser] 1088978394
> "Browsers"="konqueror"
>
> Now it works perfect for me, without the quotation marks it works of course also with
> the konqueror.exe-script. This was the problem!

Strange, I just had edited items you mention and winebrowser doesn't work
for me.  Though, something have changed after I had played a bit with
shell-dlls overridinh.

Now mIRC launches my Konqy with the "%1" argument *but* the TotalCommander
launches even two copies of Konqy: one for "%1" and another one for
"http://www.ghisler.com".  Strange.  IMHO it is just a nasty bug.

> The only thing i currently don't understand is the profit of winebrowser, is launching
> the konqueror per winebrowser not the same as launching konqueror per script???

The only difference I can see is the "winebrowser" being winelib app:
 1, it already exists;
 2, it can be configured using Wine/Windows only programs;
 3, it already has it's way of autodetecting most common linux web
     browsers present on particular linux box (it's about the
     coma-separated list of names of the linux binaries).

I hope someone will dig up stronger arguments to use "winebrowser".