[Wine]Baldur's Gate 2 randomly crashes ("Runtime error") with Wine-20041201

Michal Kepien lordpopcorn at poczta.onet.pl
Sun Dec 12 17:16:35 CST 2004

Hi there,

I've recently compiled Wine-20041201 and I'm trying to get Baldur's Gate II
running. The installation sequence is fine, so is the main menu, character
creation etc. The problem is, once inside the actual game, the application
randomly crashes giving me:

Runtime error
c:\bg2\BGMain.exe
abnormal program termination

This happens often enough to render the gameplay quite unnerving. Especially
when it happens 15 minutes after the last quicksave ;-) I haven't found out
what makes the game crash. I'm quite sure it isn't a sound problem - I've turned
sound off both in ~/.wine/config and in BGConfig.exe - not better at all. The
only clue I've got is the message which appears in the system console after the
game quits:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x40689020 "?" wait timed out in
thread 000f, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)

Whatever it means ;-) The same thing happened in Wine-20041019. I'd be grateful
for any clues as right now I'm quite fed up with restarting the game every
3 minutes (or even worse). If you need any more debug messages, just ask.

System specification: Toshiba Satellite Pro 4270 - Celeron 500, Savage/IX
(8 MB), Yamaha sound card, 320 MB RAM. Slackware 10.0, kernel 2.4.27. X.org -
6.8.1.99 (CVS), CVS Savage driver. ALSA sound driver, using OSS emulation.
Window manager: Fluxbox v0.9.10.

Thanks in advance for any support,

Michal Kepien