[Wine]Newbie

Tom Skeren tms3 at fsklaw.com
Tue Dec 28 15:54:33 CST 2004

Joachim von Thadden wrote:

>Am Di, Dez 28, 2004 at 04:53:10 -0800 schrieb Thomas M. Skeren III:
>

>>Joachim von Thadden wrote:

>>>Use WineTools to install software and get a good working configuration:
>>>

>>I'll look into it.  Any success using this with Free BSD?
>>

>Never tried. I have non installed here. But WineTools need only bash and
>brings it own Xdialog. This is a Linux binary so you probably have to
>link a BSD one into WineTools directory.

There is a port for winetools in FBSD, but it's for 1.25.  Here's what
occured while using:

On FBSD after linking wt gives error:

    lildude# wt
/usr/local/bin/wt: 89: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

On SuSE Linux 9.1 Personal Edition:
    winetools fails to install ie6.  When using an English copy of
ie6setup.exe, winetools warns of the need to mount a cd, but a cd is
mounted.  I noticed that winetools made a d:: directory, but linked it
to /dev/cdr0 or something.  However, the correct device link is
/dev/by-id/Some-system-generated-file-name.  I relinked d:: to the
correct spot, however, running ie6setup gave same warning.  Allowing
winetools to mount the drive failed.  I umount -f /media/cdrom and
remount it.  This does no good, and again ie6setup fails.

Unfortunately, I had a good install of Office 2000 using wine, and now I
cannot install it.  Guess I should not have deleted the old install.

But that leads to anothe problem.  Unlike FBSD where /home is linked to
/usr/home, /home on SuSE (and other Linux's) is /.  Well this is
problematic for those who setup our partitions the good ol' BSD way.
Like this:

/dev/hda2      3.1g        /
/dev/hda4      25g         /usr
/dev/hda3      11g         /var  ----this is a bit off for BSD but Linux
uses /var more than BSD by default.

Thus using /home/user/.wine uses quite a bit of a small slice.  It would
be nice if one could specify a wine install directory.

The tool has some nice features.  I really love the simulate windows
reboot...very helpful.

I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.  Thanks for the help, at
least I'm begining to understand what wine is doing.

TMS III