[Wine]WineTools 2.0.8 released

Adam D adam_d35 at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 29 19:13:55 CST 2004

Hi Joachim,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I just wanted to thank you for releasing your wonderful WineTools 2.0.8. I’m sure you have spent a lot of time working on it, and we have to keep that in mind. Excellent work!

I’m sure all of us struggle continuously in installing all kind of programs with mixed results. That’s why we should keep sharing our findings no matter what.

I did install Winetools in wine-20041201 environment, and it seems to be doing what is expected. WineTools 2.0.8 did detect my wine path and it created the right folders in the right place and, it certainly helped me progress (not completely) in trying to install some of my programs. I copied the config file for running programs too. However, I still had to launch winesetup after installing Winetools and also, in order to deal with an ikernel.exe launching failure during a program installation, there was a need of adding some commands such as:

WINEDLLOVERRIDES=”ole32=n” wine dcom98.exe in /root/winetools/sys/ console where dcom98.exe resides,

And,

WINEDLLOVERRIDES=”ole32, oleaut32, rpcrt4=n” wine program-setup-name.exe in /home/username/tmp/ console where the install program resides.

I had to use these steps (command 1 followed by command 2) picked-up from google in order to progress in my installation. No success yet, but I will keep trying. For some unknown reason, the program I tried to install as well as IE itself just sat around half way of the installation and never finished. I don’t know why or what happened. Maybe some one here has some idea.

Anyway, the main purpose here is to thank you for your great work and also, to give you some feedback.

Best regards,

Adam

Joachim von Thadden <thadden at web.de> wrote:Hi,

hope you had a merry christmas. I just released the next version of
WineTools with some minor improvements. You can download it at
http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/.

WineTools is an menu driven installer for installing Windows programs
under wine. This software lets you install Windows software for Linux
under WINE:

* DCOM98
* IE6
* Windows Core Fonts
* Windows System Software
* Office & Office Viewer
* Adobe Photoshop 7, Illustrator 9, Acrobat Reader 5.1
* many other programs

It also sets up your .wine directory in the correct way, downloads the
files to install from the web (only the free and shareware ones for sure
and for now only in german), installs Windows fonts and lets you
uninstall and configure your software. And it does much more than
Sidenet, although it uses a part of the configuration for IE6 (thanks
for that!).

WineTools was initially written by Frank Hendriksen and was extended by
me (Joachim von Thadden). It is licensed under the GPL. The actual
version wt208jo work with Wine versions 20040914, 20041019 and 20041201.
You can download Wine from here. Older versions can be downloaded here.

Regards
Joachim
Never run a touchy system!!!"