Update: starcraft runs faster from debugger!

cedric cedric.de.wijs at softhome.net
Sat Feb 7 01:42:26 CST 2004

crossposted to wine-dev, and wine-users

Hi, I've done some more tests, and i found that when i run winedbg starcraft
and wine starcraft and then again winedbg starcraft etc. It works, but always
following this pattern:

<boot my box>
winedbg starcraft :all runs perfectly
wine starcraft:		all video choppy
winedbg  starcraft :all runs perfectly
winedbg  starcraft: all video choppy
wine starcraft all video choppy
winedbg starcraft:  :all runs perfectly

Looks like winedbg leaves some things in a bad state, and running wine seems
to solve the problems.

However, after each run of winedbg i have 4 more of these:
1797 pts/0    00:00:01 wine-kthread <defunct>

And after about 4 or 5 times trying the wine trick doesn't work anymore,
Whatever i do the game starts choppy.

I don't know how to trace a program while it's running from the debugger,
winededbg --debugmsg +x11drv <prog> doesn't seem to work. How is the corrrect
startline?

The trace from wine
shows that DGA is disabled (even with /dev/mem set at 777)

Can somebody confirm this pattern of events?

you need ,wine-20040121 (haven't tried other versions) and starcraft retail or
starcraft shareware to reproduce this. The shareware version of starcraft
should be available at:
www.blizzard.com

Regards, cedric
--
No microsoft products were used for this e-mail