How do you completely remove wine and start over?

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Thu Feb 19 01:58:50 CST 2004

Am Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 12:09:46AM -0600 schrieb Wayne Dahl:
> Ok, it looks like I've completely boloxed up my wine install on this
> box.  I'm running RH 8.0 on an i386 machine and can't seem to find key
> components.  I've tried removing the previous incarnations using rpm,
> but the files still seem to be there from an old install from 2003.
>
> If I just wanted to completely wipe wine off this thing and start fresh
> with a completely new install, what would be the best way to do it since
> it appears rpm isn't working?
>
> Maybe the next question should be, do I need to do that?  I just
> downloaded the latest rpm for rh8 and I got several complaints from rpm
> that several files were in conflict with the previous version which was
> from 20040121...so I forced the install with rpm -ivh --force
> wine20040213-1rh8winehq.i386.rpm and it installed with no complaints.
> However, I can now no longer locate tools/wineinstall anywhere on this
> box.  Do I still need it?  This is coming from a wine newbie and Linux
> novice.

Hmmm, I don't understand why you are messing up your RPM system? Linux
is not Windows. You should understand what you do! OK, sorry for that,
it's a little bit early in the morning for me.

What I see from your mail is that you installed a new wine version with
rpm -i <file> over your existing older version. If you would have used
rpm -u <file> you would not got these messages about conflicts with
existing files from another rpm package. Because with -i you install new
software whereas with -u you just update. It is very likely that you now
have both versions mixed together on your system. Check this by giving
rpm -q wine and see whether you get both, the old and the new version.

If it is like this, do rpm -e <last-version> (20040212) and the rpm -e
<existing-version> (20040121). If there were any other versions, delete
them also. Then (after some errors) all versions should be deleted from
your system. If you now delete the .wine directory of your user you have
a clean system. Now install the version of wine you really want. I
recommend the 20031212 build.

Anyway, these are my recommendation for you for the future:

- read about rpm (man, google) to understand
- you can almost always use rpm -u (also for new packages)
- don't mess around with --force and --nodeps if you are not absolutely
  sure what you are doing: you may break your system with that
- install non-RPM software under /usr/local
- use the 20031212 version of wine as this one is known to work best
  until now

> Short of completely reinstalling everything else and starting over, is
> there another way to get this done?

As I mentioned above: You are using Linux. There is no need to start over
with a new system or reinstall everything like you have to do with
Windows after you installed a few programs which completely mess up your
libraries.

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"